Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Interview with Ben Samples for Knoxtronica Presents



Q: I always think it's interesting to find out how people, especially artists, started listening to electronic music. How did that happen for you?

Samples: I started listening to electronic music when I was djing for Boulder's college radio station. We played a wide diversity of genres and it was in playing them that I discovered Boards of Canada and other Warp Records artists. I also started checking out online music blogs and was introduced to house which was the first electronic I started playing.

Q: What are some good up and coming artists and ones that people should look out for?

Samples: I'm really into Koan Sound right now and I also think Figure is going to be the next big thing.

Q: How has music changed you as a person?

Samples: I've always been musical because it is a way to express my creativity. The need to create has been fulfilled with art or craftsmanship but music isn't constrained in terms of what you can do with it so i've always felt it was the biggest challenge. I could never give it up.

Q: Which artists would you like to collaborate with the most?

Samples: I'd like to collab with Figure and Jantsen. They are both making big moves.

Q: I heard your Nine Inch Nails remix of "The Perfect Drug" on your Sex,Drugs, and Bass album. What led you to remix Nine Inch Nails?

Samples: Nine Inch Nails was always a big influence to me and I like to remix music I enjoy. "The Perfect Drug" is a very well written song and I know I could take it in a more dance direction.

Q: Is there any Knoxville artists you like to listen to?

Samples: I'm not familiar with many Knoxville artists but I dig MTBL and Spooky Jones.

Q: What was the last song you listened to?

Samples: I think I was playing some electro on my Ipod and Knife Party came on. They're one of my favorites right now.

Q: What gets you in the mood to make music?

Samples: I just enjoy writing music so i'm always in the mood to write music. A cup of coffee gets me going.

Q:What is your favorite artist you have played with?

Samples: I've played a few big festivals in the past year and sharing the stage with Excision at Shambhala was awesome!

Q:Any plans for new releases?

Samples:"Life of the Party" is coming out 2/21 and then another album called Appitite for Construction is in the works.

Q: Any comments on the last time you played in Knox?

Samples: The Headroom was a fun night. I think everyone had a good time.


Link to Samples Soundcloud:
http://soundcloud.com/bensamples

Link to Samples Facebook page:
http://www.facebook.com/djsamples

No comments:

Post a Comment