Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Interview with +verb for Knoxtronica Presents


Knoxtronica Presents (JT Smith)- Tell me where you are from and where you live now? What are your backgrounds in music? I have seen you have some interesting experience.

+verb (Dominic Tetmyer)- I am from New York but currently reside in Arizona. I am completely self taught in the field of music. 

Knoxtronica- What makes up an +verb set? What do you use when you preform? Do you improvise your tracklist or have an idea before you go on?
+verb- I am real minimal now. I run a custom template which I built in Lemur for iOS and then control my Macbook Pro via the iPad. It really allows me to manipulate clips inside Ableton in real time and have a lot of fun when I perform. The physics inside the app are amazing. Nothing compares at this point in time. My set is mostly improvised but I like to think about what I might play just before a set. I am brainstorming at the moment and running trials in my studio at home where the setup will consist of Fingerlabs DM1 app and my template in Lemur. The DM1 is a sick drum machine. The aim if I can make it work will be to use the drum machine for live drum triggering and then use the Lemur to play the melodies, basses, and fx. But that is a while away still.


Knoxtronica- How did you get your foot in the door with making electronic music? I've heard a lot of great stories of how people got into the game.
+verb- Hmm… I had been a huge fan of electronic music for many years before I decided to make my own style. I was a regular attendee of "raves" in the 90s and was absolutely in love with the idea of pumping soul into these machines and in the process making sounds with them. I had been making music for maybe a year when PJ (Starkey) hit me up asking for a remix. Being one of my favorite producers I couldn't say no. At that point my first EP had just been released so I was pumped. I guess that is when other people started paying attention to the noises I was making.
Knoxtronica- Mica D'Alesandro would like to know what inspires and helps you create such a unique sound?
+verb- Good question! I am mostly inspired by everyday occurrences. Often I will sit down and write an idea or begin a track because of a particular emotion I am trying to convey. I love the outdoors and find nature very inspiring. I also listen to a ridiculous amount of music. Music is the soundtrack to our lives. So it is important for me to not listen to the same stuff over and over. I like to expand my horizons so to speak via listening to a wide range of music. Doing this helps keeps my creative output fresh and always changing.

Knoxtronica- I know you stay in the slower range of electronic music and I hear a lot of what I call "Post Dub".  Have you ever tampered with other genres of Electronic music? I hear some artists mess around with other genres and that sometimes creates another sound etirely when the artist has a refined sound like yourself.
+verb- Hmm… not a fan of labeling music. I mean, it serves a purpose for marketers, listeners, and promoters… but trying to adhere to a set of rules defined by a genre would just limit your creative endeavors. Having said that, I do make a lot of different styles of music. I am mostly infatuated with hip-hop beats and bass in the many different genres that they can be found in. 

Knoxtronica- What are you really into right now? Who have you been watching out for and listening to lately? I been into a lot of iO, skytree, and kastle lately.
+verb- I have been into a lot of 808 music, juke, and post-dubstep (i hate that name). People who never cease to amaze me are: Starkey, EPROM, Machinedrum, Lazersword, Sinjin Hawke, and Salva to name a few. People who push boundaries are artists that you will find me listening to. If you are making music that sounds like 90% of the other crap out there, then I can't find enjoyment in that. Imitators are everywhere yet innovators are far and few. 
Knoxtronica- If you could collab with anyone at all, who would it be? Throw a couple names out if you can.
+verb- Haha! Anyone? John Lennon! Or Miles Davis. I do plan on working with more vocalists and MCs in the future so that will be some fun collaborations.

Knoxtronica- So who are some of your favorite artists to see live?
+verb- People who have high energy in their music and on stage antics. Hiding behind your laptop? I am not interested then.
Knoxtronica- Any news on upcoming music or shows?

+verb- I have remixes coming out for Bass Science, Trailer Park Noize, Adam John, and Illegitimate Children. I just had remixes come out for Misk, Hypha, and Kastle. I just had a track on a compilation with Lowriders Collective that came out on vinyl. My next ep is out on Car Crash Set on May 29th. It is called Sensual Frequencies Volume 2. Volume 1 came out exactly 2 years ago and was my first ever release. Volume 2 marks the end of my endeavors in that particular style. Many people asked for a sequel so this is me giving it to them. I also have several other projects on the go which I can not mention because it is just too early.

Knoxtronica- Do you have a link to some of your music for your fans out here on the east side?

+verb- New EP snip stream:


last mixtape w/ memekast:


and I am always posting stuff on Soundcloud.

Knoxtronica- I really hope we can get you out here very soon. Thank you for doing this for us and i'll be on the lookout for everything +verb and spreading the music over here for your east side fans.
+verb- Thank you for the questions! Would LOVE to play in the east coast!
You can also follow +verb on...
Facebook:

No comments:

Post a Comment