Thursday, June 14, 2012

Govinda Interview for Impulse Festival




So this is my last interview for Impulse Music and Arts Festival before it begins and this one is deffinatly one of the most unique. Govinda is something that is new to me and I have not only grown very fond of but it has caught my attention. I was very excited when I got the message back that you was down for this. You play Friday, June 15th on the Iris stage at 6:15! Please introduce yourself to my readers.

Govinda- This is Shane o Madden from Austin TX. I am the producer and violinist with GOVINDA.

Knoxtronica- First off I would like to state that artists are constantly trying to find new and unique ways to perform and set themselves apart from the norm. And you have done just that by creating and playing electronic music that is not only genuine at its roots, but you also incorporate classical violin to that as well. This is very different than most and I love to see when artists do this sort of thing. What got you into violin and when did you decide to make electronic music and fuse the two together?


Govinda- I picked up the violin when I was eight years old after hearing "The Devil Went Down to Georgia", which is fitting for this interview as Impulse approaches. After years of studying classical music through high school and College I decided to travel the world and take a break from what I obsessed on for so many years. As I was introduced to music of the world I began to develop my own expression in my compositions. Everything from found sounds to synth lines mixed with the things I knew well like vocals and strings. My love for the mysterious and sensual also came to the surface. All this melded together into one unique sound called Govinda.


Knoxtronica- I would love to talk about your roots. I hear you was a gypsie or grew up with them, and correct me if I am wrong. It says on your bio that you have had mysterious teachers help you with your violin training. Can you talk about some of this with us? Very curious.

Govinda- I am not really a gypsy as that word only is romanticized only in this country. However my ancestors did caravan through North Africa to Spain. I do find connection to their ways of dance and music. The passion of their music has influenced my sound tremendously. My grandfather also was a violin lover. He would proudly sit in his rocking chair as I played for him. He painted pictures with his words of Hungary and Romania and his extensive adventures around the world.

Knoxtronica- With such an interesting background, what are some of your influences? It can be electronic music or not.

Govinda- Ah yes, Nicolo Paganini, Sarasate, Dead Can Dance, Madredeus, Bassnectar, Thievery Corp, Shakti, Tipper to name a few. As you can see its all over the map.

Knoxtronica- Impulse is right around the corner and it is full of unique and interesting artists that are not only something a lot of the east coast has never seen before but a festival that has so much to offer. Have you played on the east coast before? What are you anticipating for this festival? Anything special? Do you have anything you'd like to point out that you are excited for?

Govinda- Yes, I have played on the East Coast before and I am excited to play for audiences that are hearing new and fresh music. I always get a great response when I bring my music there. I am also incorporating live elements to electronic music which is something people love out that way. I'll have Nancy Kaye (a Georgia resident) singing live on her songs. I will also be working with an amazing modern dancer.


Knoxtronica- I have been loving the new track "Universal On Switch" off of the new album. I hear all the inspiration and love put into it. Can you tell us a little bit about it and talk about what the album is about?

Govinda- The album as a whole is dedicated to my best friend and mother of my daughter, Andrea Burden who left this world 3 years ago. Its really a collection of music style she loved as she made her painting masterpieces. There are also songs with lyrics about lucid dreams I had where she visited me. I am donating 20% of the sales proceeds to a fund to help the children she left behind.

Knoxtronica- There is all kinds of new electronic music coming out everywhere and I have been into a lot of new stuff. I was curious as to what you have been listening to a lot latley.

Govinda- I have been loving Tipper and Love and Light a lot. Still always loving everything from Carmen Rizzo to Radio Head.

Knoxtronica- I been to a lot of shows since I have been doing all of this and seen a lot of amazing and incredible acts over the years. What are some that stand out to you that you have seen? What are some that you would like to see that you havn't?

Govinda- I really like the Flaming Lips show. The Massive Attack show was cool too. I would love to see Royksopp.

Knoxtronica- Festivals are a great way to free yourself from stress and get away for a while. What are some of your favorite things to do at a festival? Impulse has a lot to offer from Motocross stunt shows to art instillations and even saddle span tents with 3D mapping visualizers. I heard you have some visualizers at your show as well as dancers which and a fantastic touch to your sets, so i've heard.

Govinda- Festivals are not my get away. Its my job so it isnt really a time for me to destress or relax and enjoy the features. However, I do end up getting out to see some shows and art. There is so much eye candy at these events. I do like to have a very visual show incorporating projections and dancers. I will most definitely have this at Impulse. 

Knoxtronica- Thank you so much for doing this for myself and Impulse Festival! Everyone is looking forward to a fantastic and perception changing weekend. Any last words for your fans out there?

Govinda- We have some surprises in store for you at the Impulse showcase so get your dancing shoes on..or just take your shoes off altogether.



Free Govinda track "universal On Switch" from the new album:
http://soundcloud.com/govindamusic/01-universal-on-switch

Govinda Website:
http://www.govindamusic.com

Govinda Facbook:
http://www.facebook.com/govindamusic

Govinda Soundcloud:
http://soundcloud.com/govindamusic

Impulse Music and Arts Festival Website:
http://impulsefestival.net/

Impulse Music and Arts Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/ImpulseMusicFestival


No comments:

Post a Comment